Built in the 19th century and located along the Gdańsk-Kaliningrad railway line, the neo-gothic Lisewski Bridge in Tczew used to be the longest one in Europe. Located upon the Wisła River, the originally six-span structure had densely braced girders based on stone-brick abutments and pillars finished off with double, brick towers serving to protect the spans against lateral displacement, not to mention their aesthetic values. Since its extension in 1920, the bridge has belonged to Poland. It was in part destroyed as early as the beginning of the Second World War. The original spans Nos. 3, 4, and 5 remained, as well as pillar 4 and pillar 5, and the towers, which were later entered into the Register of Historic Monuments.
The assumed work scope and solutions were to stop the structure deterioration, and to restore its former glory. The towers repair was to mark the beginning of further restoration works as well as to eventually make the facility accessible for the public. The reconstruction works covered the staircases, crenellation and rafters. Cracks and gaps were treated with injections whereas the tower crowns were reinforced with spiral rods around the tower's circumference. The pillar walls were reinforced by shotcreting. It was assumed that as many original stone and brick elements as possible would be used. Balustrades and woodwork for the doors and windows were designed to match the existing elements, which would allow to use the facility as a museum in the future.