Targ Rybny [Fish Market], which was established on the basis of the Teutonic Knights’ privilege of 1342 for the Main City of Gdańsk, quickly became an important trade centre, enriching the city’s life. The area, which initially had access to the Motława River, was gradually separated by fortifications and buildings. The developed Fishing Bank [Rybackie Pobrzeże] and the „potato market” were paradoxically connected as a result of war damage after the Second World War. Whereas the riverbank was a popular pedestrian route, the inside part of Fish Market was converted into a street and car park which revive only during the St. Dominic’s Fair.
 
The design for Fish Market reconstruction has evolved from repair of pavement and utilities to a proposal for a friendly and functional public space, the so-called “city salon”. The square and adjacent streets did not match the surrounding historical buildings, whereas the new investments, including a hotel and apartment buildings, forced creation of a very modern space. The design scope also covers Grodzka Street and Wapiennicza Street. Stone pavements and arranged traffic zones equipped with a number of architectural details and urban furniture restore the area’s prestige and reintroduce the square into the “vivid” urban spaces. Platforms help arrange the area, facilitating operation of catering places, and the created square helps restore the original function of the fish market square. All utilities covered by the study have been reconstructed and upgraded.