In 2013, it has been 62 years since BPBK started their operation. For 21 years the Company has existed as BPBK S.A., an employee-owned joint-stock company. The company’s rich history includes projects all over Poland, in neighbouring countries, former Czechoslovakia, and Libya. Our road department cooperated with the Gdańsk Institute of Communication in respect of creation of devices for traffic lights control, including a design for the so-called “green wave” for the Gdańsk-Gdynia road system. In the years 1960- 1990 the Company was granted a number of patents, including pedestrian footbridge with variable clearance, movable scaffolding for bridges and overpasses, sewage pneumatic conveyor, combined mechanical and biological wastewater treatment plants. The company was also granted certificates of registration and modernity certificates for construction of prestressed reinforced concrete beam and for a mould for prefabricated U-shaped beams.
 
Milestones:
 
1951- establishment of Design Office of Municipal Engineering (BPBK)
1959- an increase in employment up to 300 people. The sales value amounted to
PLN 9 million (as before the currency redenomination)
1960- merger of the company with Regional Design Office (Wojewódzkie Biuro Projektów), an increase in employment by ca. 30%, an increase in the sales value up to
PLN 28 million (as before the currency redenomination)
1970 - an increase in employment up to 420 people, an increase in the sales value up to PLN 52 million (as before the currency redenomination)
1973 – the Company’s integration of Regional Urban Planning Office (Wojewódzka Pracownia Urbanistyczna) and Urban Engineering Research Office (Biuro Studiów Inżynierii Miejskiej). An increase in employment up to ca. 600 people, which made it the biggest company among design offices in the civil engineering sector. The sales value amounts to ca. PLN 135 million (as before the currency redenomination)
1976 – exclusion of two organisational entities from the Company, namely Spatial Planning Office (Biuro Planowania Przestrzennego) and Office for Municipal Programming and Development (Biuro Programowania i Rozwoju Gospodarki Komunalnej), which was followed by a decrease in employment to about 400 people
1981- the Company’s sales value reached PLN 100 million (as before the currency redenomination). The result was a consequence of a productivity increase, quite a rarity in that time.
1989- pursuant to a resolution of the Employees Council, Jan Tadeusz Kosiedowski was appointed the Company’s Managing Director
1989- 1990 - a period of turbulent changes towards a market economy
1991- 40th anniversary of the Company
1991 - transformation of the state-owned enterprise into a private company named Design Office of Municipal Engineering – BPBK S.A. (Biuro Projektów Budownictwa Komunalnego Spółka Akcyjna). The Company’s employees became its shareholders, and since then it has been competing for orders on its own in tendering procedures.
1991 - Jan Tadeusz Kosiedowski was appointed the Management Board President and Director of the Company
2006 - BPBK S.A. won the title of the 2006 Best Design Company granted by the Chamber of Construction Designing (IPB)
2011 – 60th anniversary of the Company, including 20 years as a private company established through privatisation; the Company’s employment is about 100 people, and the sales value amounts to PLN 16 million (in the present currency)